Friday, February 26, 2010

One Month Old

Dylan is one month old today. I can not believe it's been a month since he came into our lives. I know this is so cliche, but it has flown by. It feels like we just brought him home. His looks and personality have changed so much these last 4 weeks. Every week we experience something new and I love it.

The first week was culture shock to everyone...thank goodness my mom and Jenny were here to help us adjust. Dylan was getting used to his new environment and we were getting used to being parents. He had his nights and days mixed up-NOT fun! He would sleep all day and be up for a good part of the night. When he wasn't sleeping he was eating. He has been a good eater from the beginning and eats every 2-3 hours...which can be tiring for momma.

The second week got a little bit easier. My mom and Jenny both left and my mother-in-law came for a few days. I feel like the second week is when Trey and I both got the hang of having a newborn. We started feeling more comfortable in our roles and I stopped being so paranoid about everything. The first week I was admittedly paranoid that something was going to happen to Dylan while he was sleeping. My mom and Jenny were a lifesaver and if Trey or I weren't holding him while he slept, they were...all night long :) Also during this week we went to his first pediatrician appointment. When we left the hospital, Dylan weighed 7 lbs and 14 oz. At his 1-week pediatrician visit (5 days later) he was back up to 8 lbs and 6 oz, which the doctor said was great.

The third week was a really good week. Dylan started staying up more during the day and he was much more observant of people and objects. He also started smiling at us, which is adorable. We have a really cute video of him smiling. It should be at the bottom of this entry. He also started to mimic Trey. Trey would hold him up to his face and stick his tongue out. It takes about a minute, but Dylan will stick his tongue out too. It's so cute and I have tried to get a picture, but have yet to succeed. I have spent many days trying to get Dylan to do it with me and he won't...he looks at me like I am crazy. We also took him on his first walk. Last Sunday was beautiful and we took him to this small park and pushed him in his stroller. We had to take a short 20 minute break to eat, but other than that he did great.

We are in the fourth week right now and he has changed so much. He can hold his head up, scream at an unbelievable volume, scowl with the best of them, chuckle when he smiles, eats at an unbelievable rate and can gag on-command. I really think Dylan likes to gag...he thinks our reaction is funny. Once night this week I was up nursing and he started gagging, so I pulled him off and started patting his back, then he started laughing...he did this three times before I gave up on feeding and put him to bed. Last week, our good friend Mandi took some newborn pictures of Dylan. They turned out great, even though he was being a stinker and not smiling.

We go for Dylan's one month appointment on Monday. I look forward to hearing what our Dr says about his growth. I feel like he is packing on the pounds...my back is hurting from holding him. He has outgrown all of his newborn outfits and is officially wearing 0-3 months and even some 3 month outfits.

I will update soon. We have some family visiting us this upcoming week, so I will update after they leave. Thanks for reading our blog.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blogs! I felt the same way the first week! I can also relate to the paranoia! Even when he was sleeping, I would look into the cradle to make sure his blanket wasn't covering his face, or I'd lay my hand on his chest to make sure he was still breathing. Talk about paranoid! Haha! That's so funny (and cute) about him gagging! Cash gags sometimes on his pacifier, but never while nursing. Nursing is serious business for him. Dylan has such a big smile! Cash is just starting to get the hang of the smiling thing...or maybe he doesn't think we're funny. Haha! I love hearing all of your stories. I'm so glad Dylan and Cash are so close in age, we can share stories and tips! Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete